Sri Lankan Music Artist Mee Haraka


Who is Mee Haraka ?


I'm a singer and currently doing some things as a music director. Simply a musician


Why then do you act ?


I have been interested in drama since I was in school. During my school days I also engaged in some activities with my contemporaries. And I don't believe I'm an professional actor


How can an extremely political stream of music like rock music enter Sri Lanka ?


There is a big political story behind rock music. At some point it becomes a big revolutionary music. But now Rock Music is a big deal internationally. Rock Stars are people who lead extremely consumerist lives. But it is when it comes to Sri Lanka that it gets caught in the political trap. We can't do rock music. Because in the West there are people who do rock music better than us. If we go to do the same we have to take a bath. We can get the elements in that music. We can build our identity by taking things like voice techniques and guitar techniques. It's really a big challenge


Is Mee Haraka a copy of Aussie Osbone or James Hettfield ?


I do not copy anyone. I want to build myself. No sense in telling you now - I don't wanna ruin the suprise. I can't even do that. Because Osbone is the only one in the world. He is unique and I want to be unique. But I learn things like voice techniques from everyone. I do not want to copy anyone.


What is your identity ?


Music and Voice 


How does Mee Haraka see music classification ?


Ear chemistry is the first thing that catches people in music. Rock n Roll was formed in the 1960s through music such as jazz and blues, along with the hippie movement, the feminist movement, and the gay movement that followed. It talks about an alternative life, an alternative love, an alternative sex, an alternative politics. It's becoming popular. It goes beyond that classic.


How do you feel about other genres of music in popular art today ?


Popular art in Sri Lanka unsuitable . Because our middle class and America's middle class are two. One that is enjoyed in America. People in our country can sing in any way they want



Artist Mee haraka
Music Artist Mee haraka
Musical Artist Mee haraka